Sunday, March 20, 2016

AWARENESS

So I have a little story to tell. And this is not a story meant to put anyone down AT.ALL. In fact- this is the best story ever to bring up why I have decided to take on  #cavanspurpleparty.  Awareness. That's it. One simple word. And yet it is so hard to come by. 
  It was time to give Cavan his syringes of cream at dinner time. We weren't at home. I am trying to be somewhat vague about these details so someone doesn't say- oh shit- that was me! So anyway- I was struggling to give them to him. He didn't want them and it was somewhat embarrassing. It was a hold him down kind of night and insert syringe into mouth forcefully. So as I did this, a woman came up to me and said, "what are you doing?" So quickly and breathlessly, I tried to explain to her that Cavan was epileptic and he was on a very specialized diet to control his seizures. She looked at me with a blank stare. So again, I said. He gets seizures and this stops them. I didn't know how else to explain it to her quickly without Cavan escaping his last four squirters. So she looks at me and says, "oh ok! Now I understand. We have had to change our diets too when we got indigestion and intolerance." I actually laughed out loud. I couldn't help it. The giggles just kept coming. So I really have a lot of work to do. We need to educate people on what Epilespy is- forget going into the diet! Do people even KNOW what it is? 
  When I spoke to Kenyon about it, he admitted that he didn't know if he knew the full picture of what Epilepsy was before Cavan. Huh. Interesting. So I went out and bought a kid friendly book explaining what Epilespy is and I am heading to the schools this week! Time to educate. Time to make people aware. What are YOU going to do to help spread awareness? Help me help people understand! 

No comments:

Post a Comment