Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Kindergarten

So we are about halfway through Kindergarten already! I'm not exactly sure where the time went.  Cavan has made many friends in Kindergarten but we have had some issues along the way.  His maturity level is obviously different compared to other kids in his class.  I guess this makes sense in so many ways.  He literally lost a year of his life ages 3-4 because he was having so many seizures.  I went through a lot of emotions when we had a discussion with his teacher and 504 team whether or not he would be ready for first grade.  I was angry at first because really in my eyes, Cavan is perfect.  Once I got off my high horse though I realized that I did see Cavan playing inappropriately after school on the playground.  And then I thought about all of the other times that he lacked focus at home, concentrating on what he has to do. Don't get me wrong.  He has come SO.FAR.  But when compared to other kids going into first grade maybe not far enough .  So Kenyon and I have pretty much made the decision that he will remain in Kindergarten for one more year.  It'll give him the gift of time. Our goal as parents is to put him in a situation where he will be able to succeed and we believe he will be able to do that- just next year.  That, and I am a kick ass Kindergarten room parent so another year is a benefit to the teachers as well.    ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment