Sunday, October 25, 2015

Challenge, Accepted

So, we decided to take the kids to Sesame Place today.  Uncle Scott came over and we all headed to the park around 2:30.  If you don't know about Sesame, they have Trick or Treating this month leading up to Halloween.  I purchased many many little trinkets for Cavan for Halloween.  I took them with me and Kenyon dropped me off at the gate before he parked.  I spoke to the manager beforehand and told him about Cavan and how he is on the magic diet and how candy and juice boxes were a no go for him.  I showed him my goods (that sounded so inappropriate!) and explained what I wanted to do.  With the managers approval, I spent the next ten minutes literally running around the park explaining Cavan's situation to each person manning the station.  I handed the trinket to them and asked them to give it to Cavan instead of what they had (chips, cheese puffs, juice etc). And then I got the text that they were in the park and ready to go!
  I met up with them.  Kenyon and Uncle Scott informed me they did not start trick or treating yet.  And so we began.  Maeve went first.. Then Cara.  Then I walked up with Cavan.  The boy recognized me right away and looked right at Cavan and said "here you go buddy! This is for you." And he handed him the trinket I supplied.

Cavan lost.his.mind.

Picture screaming, kicking legs, falls to the ground, screaming even louder, sobbing.  It broke my heart.  Ugh! It's just not fair.  I scooped him up and tried my hardest to explain to him why they gave him that, and how they must know about his magic diet etc.  All he was screaming though was that he wanted what the other kids had.  And the tears welled up in MY eyes.  Because you know what? He's freaking right!! That's all I want for him too! But I couldn't go there.  So I calmly said to him that if trick or treating made him THAT sad that we could skip it and just go on rides.  And we did slides for a bit and did Abby Cadabby's maze.  And then came another trick or treating station and Maeve says to him, come on buddy! Let's see what prize they have for you! And for some reason, all was good with the world.  He ran up to them and got his trinket.  And he was happy with it (it also happened to be a really annoyingly cool mouth whistle).  It's almost like he had to go through that major break down and be a kid.  And then get over it.  And then have fun.  And that's exactly what we did.  We went on rides and got more prizes.

  What astonished me the most was the fact that we even ate at Elmo's eatery.  We all got chicken fingers and French fries.  And Cavan sat there and had his weighed out salami, cheese, syringe of oil, strawberries and six goldfish.  He didn't care because he was drinking out of the same cup and eating off the same plate (which I paid extra for, but whatevs!).  
Today was definitely a learning experience.  For all of us.  But, we accepted the challenge and kicked it's ass.

1 comment: