Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Follow Up appointment (2 weeks)

We went to CHOP last week for cavans follow up. All of his numbers looked really really good. He has a good ketone level, sugars look good, pee all checks out. Nurse Claire asked how he was doing with seizures- all good there too! He still hasn't had any. They decided to keep him at the ratio that he has been- 2.5:1 ratio. Woohooooo!! That is what I was hoping to hear. They have noticed that he has lost a bit of weight since starting the diet (1.5lbs in less than two weeks). They increased his snack calorie count to try and beef him up a bit. When I met with the dietitian we realized that I was making his afternoon snack incorrectly and he was already getting 100 extra calories and he was STILL losing weight! So they had some tweaking to do for my very energetic little boy. He seems to be doing well on the diet. They asked if he was doing better mentally on the diet. I was able to say yes. He listens more at soccer, he stood at the aquarium window for more than ten minutes watching the fish! For the first time I took a step back and thought, holy shit. He IS getting better. Slowly, but it's happening. 
  We had our first encounter with someone trying to give him a treat on the playground. I felt like I was in slow motion watching it happen. Then Cavan turned to me (totally knowing that he couldn't have it) and asked me if it was ok. I said, "who is he ONLY person allowed to make your food?" And he said, "my mommy." To which I replied, "that's right. And that's not on your magic diet. Now go play." And off he went! No tears. Nothing! I was going to cry I was so happy! He is slowly getting it. We can all eat together at the table for dinner and he even sat there as the other kids ate chicken nuggets in front of him. I have one strong kid I tell you. And I am proud to call him mine. 

Silly boy at the appointment after getting his stickers.
The girls watching Cavan weigh his own food!
He loves cutting now! OT has been working hard with this I am sure. He always has his "birdie fingers" ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment