Thursday, September 17, 2015

Day FOUR

Okay. This day has two parts. I'll write about them as AM and PM.

AM 
I awoke to Cavan gagging again. He was gagging all through the night. I was up every hour on the hour and watched him as he slept.  When he got up he was lethargic. He was cranky. And he refused to eat. But whats worse is that he wouldn't drink. And THATS a problem. So it came time for meds. The most important med at this point is to get his bicitra (I am probably killing the name). That is the one that he needs to get to lower the acid in his blood. So I was all smart and thought, I am so going to impress Kenyon and give it to him before he gets here. And I am going to do it first so he will get better faster. So I cradle him. I lock his arms and shove the syringe down his throat. He drinks and screams and gags. But he finished all of it. BOO-YA! And then he looks at me and throws up all over me, himself and the floor. Thank God for Melissa (remember my awesome roommate?) because she grabbed blankets and a bucket to help. He passed out hard after that. The nurse came in and we discussed with Nurse Claire (she's the keto goddess) what we should do. He wasn't responding very well and he hadn't eaten in a day. So we decided on an IV of fluids with the medicine he needed mixed in. He fell asleep on and off for the whole Morning. Two hours later his IV was done and he was smiley but still not eating. I was at a loss. He was still lethargic and I was very worried that they were going to start the we can't let him go home conversation.  
PM
At our class in the afternoon we made an egg soufflé. It was so good!! We tried it. We also made these creamsicle candies. They had cream cheese and jello mix and fresh strawberries in them. I was very hopeful. We got back and I learned from Kenyon that all Cavan did was sleep and he ate nothing. I had the soufflé in my hand. My nurse geniusely suggested that I cut a hole in the soufflé and offer it up as a donut. He completely loved it... Until he took a bite. We got six bites from him. I personally thought that was a success! I could tell he wanted more but did not want that donut. So me, the nurse and Kenyon took a trip down to the fridge to grab those ice cream balls. We called the girls on FaceTime (daddy's freaking brilliant idea). He showed the girls his ice cream balls and gobbled up one, then two, then three- four-five and then he looked like he was going to vomit! He didn't.  But man did my kid change!!! We walked through the hall (which he calls the Boardwalk) and he was like, "hi everyone! I eat my magic diet!" And they all started clapping and cheering and whistling! And this time I cried but for a good reason. Then his meds came. He took them all. I still had to hold him down and I still had to force them in but man was it easier knowing he got a little bit better. He got very tired and a bit lethargic after dinner. His blood sugars look good though. He did need another IV because he had a bit of a high heart rate. After it was done though his heart rate was normal. He didn't eat anything else except an exchange of carbs. Which means he got to eat a half of a saltine-just to give you an idea of his carb allowance. He will get another IV bicitric dose which will hopefully boost him again to allow him to eat again. 

So how are his seizures? 
He had four seizures yesterday. He had two seizures today. It will vary until the diet is stable and his body can handle the diet. 

It was a roller coaster kind of day but man, I could totally see the light! Let's hope we continue. 

Oh one more thing, I see you commenting. I see you messaging me. I may not have to write back but I sure appreciate the love! It seriously brightens some of my darkest moments during my day. So, thank you. 

1 comment:

  1. A friend of Colleen's that's following this journey that your family is on. So sorry to hear how rough it has been the last few days, but here's to hoping that these difficult days are far and few. I hope the light at the end of the tunnel becomes brighter in the next few days. Sending lots of well wishes your way! Stay strong, Cavan (and momma and dad too)!

    ReplyDelete