Saturday, September 19, 2015

Day SIX

This morning was such a different experience.  We woke up at five am to the nurse coming in to check his blood glucose.  We both exhaled deeply when it showed the number 69.  She went to draw blood when she realized that the IV was not hooked up (again). So they came out again to give him another blood draw (this was number seven!).  He ate a decent breakfast of bacon and I tried my hardest to get him to eat the strawberries and whip cream.  He just wouldn't do it.  I gave him a syringe of olive oil which he DESPISED but gagged down. His ketone level was at 7.1 so we were just waiting on the bicarbonate level. It was 18 yesterday and today came back at a whopping 20!  So like all discharges from the hospital, they told me we could go five hours and eighty-five treasure hunts later.
  We got home and Cavan actually cried at the sight of his siblings.  They were hugs and tears and then they all ran outside to play.  Dinner was, um, rough to say the least.  A wonderful
 Friend made dinner for us but Cavan had a hard time eating his.  Then he went into the pantry and wanted the big box of gold fish.  There is a lot of change that needs to take place in order for him not to be so tempted.  But I made him a kick ass snack of eggs and strawberries! The eggs were filled with mayo and cream and he gobbled them up. I whipped up a serving of pancakes for an emergency and now I am beat.  His numbers tonight were 7.1 for ketones (awesome) and 80 for glucose (double awesome).  I'll probably check him in the middle of the night because I am just scared.  At least for a while.  I'll be posting some yummy pics of his foods and updates periodically now. Here's to hoping for no more breakdowns about goldfish or cupcakes or ice cream! 

And please, please DONT FEED MY KETO KID! Thanks!


3 comments:

  1. I'm tearing as I read this! You guys rock. Love you much and am thankful you are in our lives. I can't wait to meet the rest of the clan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tearing as I read this! You guys rock. Love you much and am thankful you are in our lives. I can't wait to meet the rest of the clan!

    ReplyDelete